Fraud Prevention Tip #26: Create a Presentation for Your CEO
Draft a five-minute script for your CEO. Ask them to present this short talk to all employees – through a recorded video and live in-person whenever the opportunity is available. Here are the Talking Points:
• As a business organization we have the risk of misconduct, wrongdoing and fraud. I need everyone’s help every day to provide a safe, secure, honest environment for every employee, customer and business partner.
• Our job is to keep wrongdoing and fraud out of our business through attention to details every day. This is not extra work, it is core work – to make sure things you personally review and oversee are correct.
• Out of respect for all of our trusted employees, if we have some bad actors that violate our trust we will pursue them to the full extent of our policies and the law.
• You are in the best position to notice. Speak up when you see or sense that something isn’t right. Copy the post-911 message, ‘When you see something, say something’.
• You are a hero when you come forward with suspicions. Even when you do it anonymously – which is absolutely OK. You are still a hero.
• We’ll make it as easy as possible for you to speak up, including sponsoring a telephone and internet-based Hotline administered by a third party company whose expertise is handling calls 24 hours a day.
• There can be no retribution against those who with the best of intentions come forward and report suspicions. There will be zero tolerance of anyone who creates an unsafe environment for our staff.
And the most important thing to say:
• Thank you for being an active part of the solution to our fraud risks. For doing the right thing. For making sure your signature on documents is backed up by your own reputation. You are our first and often last line of defense.
Visible, vocal support from your #1 executive is a critical part of any meaningful; Anti-Fraud Campaign. Make it easy for them. Show them exactly what to say.
John J. Hall, CPA
John J. Hall, CPA, is an author, speaker and results expert who presents around the world at conventions, corporate meetings and association events. Throughout his 35-year career as a business consultant, corporate executive and professional speaker, John has helped organizations and individuals achieve measurable results. He inspires audience members in corporations, not-for-profit organizations and professional associations to step up, take action and “do what you can.”